[ic] Installing packages (problem with perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.27-1.i386.rpm on RH 7.0)

Jason Timm interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 10:55:00 2001

>>While trying to install perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.27-1.i386.rpm onto RH7.0, I
get:

>>error: failed dependencies:
>>         libcrypto.so.1   is needed by perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.27-1
>>         libssl.so.1   is needed by perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.27-1
>
>Those RPM's were built for openssl-0.9.6, RH 7.0 comes with 0.9.5.  You can
>probably install both versions and still be able to use the old stuff for
>binary compatibilty (like RH 7.0 Apache-SSL) and the new stuff for
>everything else (using symlinks in /lib/..., if you know how).

Thanks, Dan. At least you got me looking in the right place...  But, I still
can't get it to work.

When I tried to install openssl-0.9.6, it reported that it can't because it
conflicts with openssl-0.9.5a.  I had thought of removing 5a, but there are
a ton of dependencies to it and I don't want to remove everything else (as
well as probably more dependencies as well).

So, I got the openssl-0.9.6 tarball, untarred it, and did this:

./configure
make
make test
make install

and it seemed to do a bunch of stuff, but when it was done, I couldn't find
libcrypto.so.1 anywhere.  Same with libssl.so.1.  I am obviously fairly new
at installing packages, but I can usually figure things out so this is
really frustrating.  One newsgroup I found had a message that suggested
ln -s libcrypto.so.0 libcrypto.so.1 - will that work??  Is it that easy?  Is
there a major difference in so.0 and so.1?

I am sure that other people with RH 7.0 are going to run into this, so any
help that anyone can post would be greatly appreciated...  Thanks!

Jason