Donations, Re: [ic] PGP intructions

IC-Admin interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sun Aug 19 08:16:00 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, saa wrote:

> Hi all, Can someone send me intructions to setup PGP or whatever is simpler
> Please send intructions for the real dumb :)

Though I write this comment in follow-up to this post, I don't meant to
hurt or insult the poster saa. I myself have posted things like this in
the past, am a real dumb, but might be around a bit longer to feel I
might have the permission from the maintainers of this list to make
the following remark:

I like to ask one of the Perl Gurus to code the integration of a link to
the IC donation (tip jar) PayPal page into this mailing list's source
code. Let us give any real dumb the possibility to feel good about himself
in providing him an incentive to treat any volunteer, helping out here
for absolutely no money, like a decent human being.

I am not happy about the way the possibility to donate directly to
IC developers, the complete IC project and to IC users, who offer
technical support here on the list, (and I like to explicitely include
all RH employed IC developers as well), is MISSED.

The Interchange project and the IC developers deserve to be
supported by our donations. We should have the opportunity to
donate directly to the developers and directly to the project and
not to a relative anonymous company address.

My plea to the maintainers of the RedHat IC web site and IC mailing
list is to find a way to integrate a donation link directly into the
mailing list, a link which leads to the PayPal site, which should
include mailing addresses and some words of committment of RH IC's
intent to use money directed to the project as a whole to expand and
sustain the IC sourcecode as opened source code as much as possible.

I don't know about you, but I start feeling somewhat cheap and low
to not give back to the developers and helpers of IC, after I have
downloaded the IC software for free and used this tremendously helpful
mailing list for free as well.

Not everybody might be able to pay the price, which is thought
of representing the worth of the complete e-commerce suite as a whole
including the support it includes, but that shouldn't mean that people,
who use the software for zero dollars don't recognize the
outstanding value of the work the developers have done to provide and
create the IC package plus an even more amazing value in the
additional free help they give on this list.

Give us a more clearly marked, in our face and to the point link and
method to donate money to the IC developers, IC helpers and the IC
project.

Thanks for your patience to listen to me and my aplogoies for
letting this out of my chest a bit "in your face".

I too am a real dumb like the poster above seems to see himself. But
I don't like to see myself as a real cheap. Therefore I like to
to have a possibility to prove that by giving back something to the
people who dedicated their brains, time and efforts to this great
free software project.

Design a better donation page into your RH IC website, please. Your tip
jar page as it is formulated right now isn't really an adaequate
expression for what it should represent and be used for.
Thank you.

BF