[ic] Upgrading production 4.6.5 to 4.8.1

Wed Aug 22 16:53:01 2001

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 01:21:20PM +0000, Mike Eheler wrote:
> I have searched the archives of this list, and found one topic about
> upgrading, but dealt with just default/demo catalogs.
>
> On our systems we have dozens of catalogs maintained by our users, and
> we would like to provide the most seamless upgrade possible. Ideally we
> want to completely replace our 4.6.5 server with 4.8.1, and as well
> completely upgrade the administrative interface.
>
> I have done some test upgrades using very basic default installs of
> 4.6.5's "construct" demo, and every time I did it, the store would work
> fine, but the admin would be broken.. either the colours would only be
> half changed, or in one test case (the one closest to an actual
> production upgrade), all of the toolbars in the admin interface were
> completely broken. Each bar simply had the word "line" and there were no
> images.
>
> I have scoured the web for any kind of an upgrade doc from 4.6.5 to
> 4.8.1, and have found nothing, other than a cryptic "Upgrade Guide" on
> redhat's site, and the less-than-usefull UPGRADE file that comes with 4.8.1.
>
> Any help/experience notes/anything is greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest you consider **not** upgrading them.  Seriously.  If you change
it, you own it until it's right "the way they remember it".  That's
not to say you might not offer a special service rate for clients who
want to upgrade in, say, next 30 days.

This is more a general policy issue of script maintenance and you'd
probably want it to align with your systems policies there.

cfm