[ic] 3-level category tree

Doug Alcorn interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 10:20:00 2001

"Lukasz Z" <dugi@prion.pl> writes:

> I've been wondering how to build a 3-level category tree using
> area/category tables layout from "foundation" store.

I did this in 4.6 for a 2-level category tree.  I know it will work
for 4.8, but not sure if it's still the best solution.

What I did was use one of the unused fields on the product table.  In
4.6 'construct' both subcategory and addl_category were unused.  I
added a form for the customer to choose the primary category and I
saved it in a scratch variable.  Then I modified the bar_link global
sub so that it used that scratch variable when building the leftside
links.  All this still worked fine with the Admin UI.

Honestly, I haven't looked at the code for 'foundation'.  I don't know
if bar_link is still used or not.  Anyway, YMMV.  This is just a
strategy you might want to consider.
--
 (__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net http://www.lathi.net)
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543