[ic] Possible minor bug (?): '-' and $Scratch->{var-name}

Fri Aug 24 14:28:01 2001

Hi all -

Working on some code in an IC 4.6.5 catalog, I found that I could set and
view the contents of a scratch variable which contains a dash in its name
using IC tags:

[set var-name]something[/set]
[scratch var-name]

but operations failed within a Perl block:

[set var-name][/set]
[perl]
         $Scratch->{var-name} = "foo";
         return;
[/perl]
[scratch var-name]

In the latter example, var-name remains empty; no message in the error
log.  Removing the dash from var-name fixes the problem instantly.  It also
fixes the problem to enclose the var-name in single quotes:

[perl]
         $Scratch->{'var-name'} = "foo";
         return;
[/perl]

...and furthermore, using an underscore instead of a dash works. This is
pretty minor, but has me wondering; is this a side-effect of code intended
for other purposes or an undocumented character usage restriction?

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax