[ic] passing category id to next page - 3-level category tree

Lukasz Z interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Aug 25 07:00:00 2001

HI THERE!

Continuing the problems with 3-level categorty tree. I built a database with
such a strucrture:

"id"     "name"        "parent_id"

1        skiing                 0                            |----skiing
2        skis                    1                            |
|-------skis
3        boots                 1                            |            |
|-----racing
4        googles              1                            |            |
|-----slalom
5        racing                 2                            |            |
|-----kids
6        slalom                 2                           |            |
7        kids                    2                            |
|-------boots
8        snowdoarding     0                            |
|-------googles
9        boards                8                            |
10      boots                  8
|-----snowboarding
11      softboots            10                          |
|-------boards
12      hardboots           10                          |
|-------boots

|                |----softboots
                                                                  |
|                |----hardboots

Ok, now, on the main page of the catalog I would like to display a list of
categories with parent_id=0 (skiing, snowbaoarding in this example). Cat
names should be links to "next page" - content, dynamicly built page for
selected "main" category.

                                                        Main PAge:

                                                Choose the category:

                                                    skiing
                                                    snowboarding
                                                    mountain biking
                                                    etc.

 Could you give me an ide idea of the [loop] code with appropriate search
params to do that (I think I could figure it out, just didn't get down to
the code, busy with planning so far).

But my main problem is - how to pass a chosen category "id" to the next
page - main page for the category (dynamicly generated - skeleton like
flypage) which content should be built totaly based on the selected category
"id". At best i would like to have the chosen cat_id stored in session for
further referal.

    skis
        racing
        slalom                            This page would appear after
choosing skiing in main page
        kids
    googles
    boots

Snowboarding

    boards
    boots                       This page would appear after choosing
snowboarding in main page
        softoots
        hardboots

Code examples would be graetly appreciated, as I am a newbie to Interchange,
learning it hard.

Regards,
Lukasz Z