[ic] What do you think? (RH you idiots)

Kyle Cook interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Aug 29 20:54:00 2001

At 04:47 PM 8/29/01, you wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Dave Jenkins wrote:
>
>DJ>>This issue has been addressed several times.  The reason we keep the
>DJ>>mailing list 'open' is to allow our plethora of developers and users to
>DJ>>post messages from wherever they are currently (at a client's site;
>DJ>>logged in as interch to the server, logged in as root, on the road
>DJ>>posting through yahoo, etc.)
>
>I'm sorry, but this seems like a weak argument.
>
>Mail from the list is being delivered to one, and only one, address for
>a person (unless they have subscribed with multiple e-mail addresses.)
>In order to get the messages, they are going to have to either access
>that mail spool directly, or they are going to have to pop in and get
>it. It seems to me that people that have figured out how to install IC
>are competent enough to be able to manage mail and to be able to post
>using the same address that they are receiving at.
>
>Or, dummy as I am, I can post using this address from anywhere in North
>America, including various turnpike rest areas.
>
>DJ>>The real way to stop spam is right there on your front door: rigorous
>DJ>>filters.
>
>Then, would you please explain, on a dummy level, how to add a filter
>to procmail that filters on this:
>
>Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:12:18
>From: make_10k_a_month@excite.com
>To: interchange-users@ic.redhat.com
>Subject: [ic] What do you think?
>
>Am I supposed to filter out everything from excite.com?
>
>If I use that whole e-mail address, he will probably not use it again.
>It's very likely that it's a hit-and-run e-mail address.
>
>Am I supposed to filter on 'month'? What happens when my broker sends
>me an e-mail about my losses this 'month'?
>
>Maybe I should filter on '10K'? What about the Labor Day 10K race?
>
>I simply do not see anything there that can be filtered that won't
>filter out legitimate e-mail.
>
>DJ>>I hate it too-- trust me.  Fortunately, we only get maybe one or two
>DJ>>spams each month.  Considering the amount of traffic and subscribers to
>DJ>>this list, that is an excellent signal-to-noise ratio in my book.
>
>I think that you are being overly optimistic. Or else, you are losing
>mail.
>
>-= Jim =-

>Jim's Linux-Operated Underground Bomb Shelter
>
>Tagline for Wednesday, August 29, 2001 at 19:30 PM:
>Those who can't write, write help files.

>This Linux System has been up 440 hours
>
>My web page: http://www.idk-enterprises.com

My 2 cents:

1. I too would think that those "on-the-road" should be able to "use"
the email address they signed up under and don't think that very many
on this list would see this as a problem. (maybe I'm wrong, maybe we
could hear of a "good" reason to leave as-is?)

2. With that being said, I personally have not seen much spam in the list,
going by memory alone (mine not my computers :-) I think the rate of spam
is only about a couple per month.

Maybe others have another view on this?

Kyle Cook