[ic] What do you think? (RH you idiots)

JT Justman interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 05:11:01 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kyle Cook" <kyle@invisio.com>
To: <interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: [ic] What do you think? (RH you idiots)
<-snipped->

> 1. I too would think that those "on-the-road" should be able to "use"
> the email address they signed up under and don't think that very many
> on this list would see this as a problem. (maybe I'm wrong, maybe we
> could hear of a "good" reason to leave as-is?)

Everyone has a different configuration. I set up a separate pop box for
receiving IC mail so I wouldn't have to dig through it when checking my
regular account "on the road". Also, I have several aliases for my main
account that I use on different machines... if I send from my web mail
interface, it will default to the account name, while I have one machine set
to send as "webmaster". So I have posted from about four different e-mail
addresses to this list, not to mention the fact that I might one day have to
shoot off a quick question while logged into a shell on a root account.

> 2. With that being said, I personally have not seen much spam in the list,
> going by memory alone (mine not my computers :-) I think the rate of spam
> is only about a couple per month.

I agree. I see very little spam here. And my final point is that some
spammers will go through the effort of subscribing to a list this big
anyway.

As to filters, there are methods that work very well. One of my favorites is
to filter on the phrase "This is not spam" and variants, or if you're brave,
"remove in the subject line". How about "Not MLM" or "make money at home".
Personally I give spam no more mind than the miriads of credit card offers I
recieve every week.

> Kyle Cook

JT Justman