[ic] Still Clueless

Thu Aug 30 09:31:01 2001

>Quoting Russ Riggs (rriggs@pinkpig.com):
> Mike Heins wrote:
>
> > Quoting Frederick R. Matzen (fmatzen@home.com):
> > > umask = 022 like you thought.
> > > tried configure again. Exact same error.
> > > IC is a really nice looking app but I think it might be better if someone
> > > who knows unix installs it.
> >
> > We cannot repeal the UNIX permissions setup.
> >
> > Bottom line -- if you have permission to modify files, it will
> > work. If you don't, it won't.
> I'm forced to agree with Mr. Heins.  Have your administrator
> install the package.  It's almost impossible to install any software
> system of any complexity without root permission.....
>
> Good luck....

Actually Interchange installs quite nicely on a virtual host if
you have a reasonable perl and normal OS services. In fact, I do
98% of my testing by installing as a regular user; working as root
is the exception for me.

Interchange has been installed thousands of times on virtual hosting
setups. Its ancestry guarantees that -- dedicated boxes are a lot more
common now than they were back in '96 when I first did the current
installer software.

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

-- Wernher Von Braun