[ic] Gift Certificates and Coupons

Michelle Wilant interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 15:06:01 2001

On this general topic... we are looking into developing a "Filene's
Bargain Basement" -- a clearance site for our stuff.  The marketing
department wants to be able to "willy-nilly" add various discounts to
items and of course for it to just all work magicly. :)  We've been
researching the capabilities of IC and have seen some simple stuff --
the promotions or the affiliate options, but these aren't as customized
as what we need.

So on the -- not reinventing the wheel note -- has anyone developed a
way of placing multiple discounts on an item --- and or some sort of
interface that can add or delete discounts from an item?

Currently, my thoughts are to use the feature column in the marketing
table and populating it with not just one but a comma delimited list of
discounts for a particular product.  Then pulling out a particular group
of products -- say 50% percent off products with a query like
statement.  Another thought would be to add columns to the marketing
table -- or even the products table -- one for each discount -- just
marking Y for those who have the discount

Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.  Thanks