[ic] Adding Zip Codes for Tax

Tue Dec 4 16:49:00 2001

Quoting Chad Wittrock (Chad.Wittrock@uni.edu):
> I am using zip as the field to tax an order on. I was entering the zips that
> I want to tax into the admin ui, but I noticed that it only appears to keep
> the last 25. I looked in variables.txt and it only has the last 25 I entered
> also. Why is this? I didn't notice until after I had entered roughly 100 zip
> codes. Is there some tag I need to change to allow for more tax rates? Also,
> is there an easier way to enter this info into the varibles.gdbm? I am not
> familiar with this database (the default that interchange comes with).
>
> Any help on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

That particular method of taxing is designed for only a limited number
of things, not hundreds of zip codes.

You want to add zips to your salestax.asc file, then change SalesTax
in catalog.cfg to

	SalesTax  zip state

Your salestax.asc would look something like:

default	[fly-tax]
00011	.0735
00012	.0755
00013	.0735

etc.

If the zip is not in salestax.asc, it will fall through to state.
You can either put the states there, or you can put the rest in
the standard Variable, relying on the "default	[fly-tax]" setting
in salestax.asc.

The little JavaScript popup on the checkout page should be removed
if you do this, it won't work like you want.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon