[ic] IC and Java App Servers

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Dec 8 16:14:01 2001

> I'm currently evaluating IC as an e-commerce solution.
> I'm more familiar with Java/J2EE, so I'm wondering if
> anyone has implemented IC alongside a Java App.
> server.
>
> I would like to use IC as the basis for an e-commerce
> website, so I don't have to write from scratch the
> things IC handles. I would like the rest of the site
> to run with JSP and an Java app. server such as
> JBOSS/Resin/Tomcat. Any other data needed would be
> stored alongside the tables required for IC in
> PostgreSQL or other similar DB.

You said that you were more familiar with Java/J2EE than
with Interchange (and possibly Perl, but you didn't say that).
Is this the only reason you would want to run IC along side
a Java app, or do you have a toolbox of these apps that you
would like to reuse?

Running Interchange alongside another web app could create
session handling problems for users who don't run with
cookies switched on, so you would have to pass a session ID
back and fourth between your two apps, which is not a problem
in itself, and is easily done.

Another solution would be to have Interchange act as a 'proxy'
for the other app.  Interchange could pass requests on to your
other app using SOAP, HTTP or whatever and return the results
to the user.

Yet another solution would be to integrate a Perl module,
like 'Java' or 'Inline::Java', into Interchange, which would
allow Interchange direct access to execute your Java stuff.
I haven't looked into this, so I don't know the issues involved,
but it all seems quite possible to me.

One thing you haven't explained is what you need Java to do that
can't be done in Perl.  Perhaps you explained it in your 'more
familiar' statement, which is fair enough.  If at all possible,
I would suggest ditching the Java code and recreating the
functionality you need using Perl.  It'll cause less of a headache
in the end, and you'll find support easier to ask for and get.

Good luck.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin@cursor.uk.com