[ic] IC and Java App Servers

Sat Dec 8 19:47:01 2001

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 03:25:54PM -0700, John Beima wrote:
> G'Day Christopher,
>

> It may be "kooler" but you have many compatability issue with Java that you
> don't have with pre-processed perl. You have to look at what your objective is.
> That is to sell you clients products. Not to have the coolest site on the web.
> Having 2 out of every 10 not be able to see the site looses MANY sales.

Server side that is not an issue.

My job is to help clients with **my company's** services; if they want
java, we lose that job.  I've seen companies ditching what works for a
java implementation and explaining it simply as a marketing move.  That
is just an observation.

The bigger question is down the road.  Will the next generation back
end integration - the "glue" - be written in java?  How many java
servlet/server variations are there?  How many in perl?  (Does ic count?)
If it's going to be .Net or java services, then what?  That's the hype,
but the hype sells projects.

Maybe it's just the perlmongers don't beat their chests loudly enough.