[ic] Performance of mysql versus postgressql

Fred Pope interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 10:47:00 2001

One of the reasons why we chose PostGreSQL over MySQL was its inherenet
support for transactions, and what we thought was superior performance.

You might want to run the Vaccum command on the database if you have just
uploaded that many items. We are running the db on a seperate server and it
works very well.

--
Fred Pope
Satcom Resources

Hello,

Does anybody have experience with the perfomance of the postgressql
database. Since Red hat sells his ecommerce solution package with postgress
I thought
this must be quite fast and efficient. But when I installed postgressql on
my system with 3700 product items I found that mysql is much faster in
uploading a page. Mysql needs 1.7 sec and Postgressql needs 2.7 sec for
delivering
the page. Did I set up the postgres databasesystem wrong?

Can anybody share his knowledge about what king of computer hardware is
neccessary to deliver the pages as a webserver. Is a Intel 866 Mhz Pentium
processor with 255 MB RAM and an IDE harddrive enough to run a shop with
around
3700 product items. I would like to place my server (serverhoming) dircetly
at
an company who has access to internet lines. Anbody has information about
the
monthly fees in Germany for serverhosting.

Thanks

Christian Willer

http://www.gmx.net