[ic] Help with IC setup

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 17:39:01 2001

> I posted this message yesterday, but the person who was
> giving me pointers
> was at a loss of what to do further.  I do appreciate his help.
>
> I'm running Mitel's SME version 5.  Many people know this as
> E-Smith Server
> and Gateway (ESSG).  It's a secure server/gateway/firewall.
> SME/ESSG is
> built on RedHat Linux.  The last version of ESSG was based on
> the Redhat 7.0
> kernel.  SME 5 is based on the RedHat 7.1 kernel.
>
> I'm trying to install the Interchange 4.8.3 RPM package on my
> SME server.
> Everything appeared to have installed fine.  I pulled down
> and installed all
> the available CPAN modules from the ic web site.
[snip]
> Tom

Tom,

I'm coming in late on this thread, so forgive me if someone has already
mentioned this.  However, I happen to have an E-Smith installation note
written by Justin Funke (March 12, 2001).  (text below).

If that does not help, I recommend the following things:

* Try a manual (tarball) installation
* Follow some recently written installation instructions, in addition to
the INSTALL document:

http://interchange.redhat.com/pipermail/interchange-users/2001-December/
015677.html

HTH,

Dan Browning
Kavod Technologies

Interchange Installation Revision 1.04 - Justin Funke (March 12, 2001)

How to Notes:  The ibay is built with permissions for everyone to access
and this is a major security problem if you have other users on your
LAN. TEST AT OWN RISK!

Make an ibay on your e-smith server with permissions set to "edit and
read" for everyone no password required. Make sure execute cgi is
enabled.

Install the interchange rpms and required support.
rpm -ivh http://24.66.68.124/pub/files/interchange-4.6.3-1.rh7.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh
http://24.66.68.124/pub/files/perl-SQL-Statement-0.1016-3cl.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh
http://24.66.68.124/pub/files/perl-MIME-Base64-2.11-11cl.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh http://24.66.68.124/pub/files/perl-Safe-Hole-0.06-3cl.i386.rpm

Add a soft link to start interchange server on e-smith reboot run level
7.
ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/interchange /etc/rc.d/rc7.d/S95interchange

Make a user named "interch" through e-smith manager. No password needs
to be set for this user.

Create the interchange error log.
touch /var/log/interchange/error.log

Set permissions and ownerships on the installed interchange files and
directories.
chown interch /usr/lib/interchange -R
chgrp interch /usr/lib/interchange  -R

Make the catalogue
/usr/lib/interchange/bin/makecat

This catalogue demo is based on the server www.myserver.com and the ibay
name "pub"

Catalogue name = "construct"
Enter path to httpd.conf file: "/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf"
Server name: "www.myserver.com/pub"
DemoType? "construct"
permtype? "M"
InterchangeUser? "interch"
CatUser? "root"
InterchangeGroup? <blank>
MailOrderTo? "orders@myserver.com"
CatRoot? "/var/lib/interchange/construct"
CgiDir? "/home/e-smith/files/ibays/pub/cgi-bin"
CgiUrl? "/pub/cgi-bin/construct"
Aliases? "/construct"
DocumentRoot? "/home/e-smith/files/ibays/pub/html"
SampleHtml? "/home/e-smith/files/ibays/pub/html/construct"
ImageDir? "/home/e-smith/files/ibays/pub/html/construct/images"
ImageUrl? "/pub/construct/images"
INET or UNIX mode? "UNIX"
Do you use CGIWRAP or SUEXEC? "n"
The above directories already exist. Overwrite files? "y"

Your company name "Construct Something"

Set to 1 if you want to use MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Oracle: .. <enter>

Account name that will control this catalog:..... "interchange"
Administrative password: ........................."pass"

run "ln -s /home/e-smith/files/ibays/pub/html/construct/images
/var/lib/interchange/construct"? "y"

Add catalog to interchange.cfg? "y"

Let it finish and watch for any errors.

Change the permissions for the catalogue back to "interch" since we just
built the catalogue as root.

chown interch /var/log/interchange/error.log
chgrp interch /var/log/interchange/error.log

chgrp interch /var/lib/interchange -R
chown interch /var/lib/interchange -R

Restart the interchange server as user interch.
su -c "/usr/lib/interchange/bin/interchange -r" interch

Check to make sure it is working at
http://www.myserver.com/pub/construct

You may need to do a full reboot,

shutdown -r now

I have had reports that users have experienced a problem on the links at
the top of the page not working because the "pub" directory is coming up
twice. If this is occurs - redo the catalogue configuration and remove
the italicized "pub" from line 3 of the catalogue configuration script.

Revision for Manual and Icons

**Note symbolic links not permitted through current configuration of
apache the Follow Symlinks directive either needs to be set or the files
have to be actually moved in order to for the help menus and pages to
work.

mv /var/www/html/akopia /home/e-smith/files/primary/html/
mv /var/www/html/manual /home/e-smith/files/primary/html/