[ic] Re: interchange-users digest, Vol 1 #804 - 59 msgs

Bob Ramstad interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 12:31:01 2001

   "Tom Carroll" <egor@carrollweb.net> wrote (among other things):

   When I ran makecat I told it my DocumentRoot is
   /home/e-smith/files/ibays/dataware/html but when makecat finished it copied
   the interchange to the /var/www/html directory.  Is there something I missed
   or is this hard coded in the makecat script?

   John Beima <jbeima@palb.com> wrote:

   This is because you answered the questions that makecat has asked
   you wrong. If you correctly answer every question, everything winds
   up where it should.

Bzzzt.  Sorry, John.

This is a bug in makecat.

I know, I reported it here about a month ago.  I reinstalled
foundation three or four times, each time changing /var/www/html to
the appropriate directory -- once changing it manually, another time
hitting the up arrow and getting the correct /home/httpd/html, another
time trying a completely unrelated directly that doesn't appear in
httpd.conf at all.  In EVERY CASE the graphics were installed into
/var/www/html -- the consensus on the list at that point is that
makecat is using the default always and is broken.

Tom, I'm sure you did the right thing and makecat used the default
value instead.  It isn't your fault, makecat is broken.

IMHO, this is a classic example of a bug that bites newbies and
encourages them to ask questions here that have been asked a lot
before.  If you do a search on the archives, you'll see that literally
dozens of people have asked on this mailing list how to fix broken
graphics and the two answers given are 1) make sure permissions are
right and 2) make sure the graphics are in the right place.  If
makecat took care of both of these, we'd be able to spend our time on
more complex questions...

<<I'd offer a patch, but makecat is awfully confusing to read.>>

-- Bob