[ic] More problems with Spreadsheet Export

Jason Kohles interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 21:46:01 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 06:24:51PM -0800, Peter Hicks wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2001 17:54, Justin Bonds wrote:
> > Patrick,
> >
> > When running the Store Wizard and using an Excel file to input, I get
> > nearly the same end result as you.   I just discovered it a couple of
> > nights ago. Now, in my situation - it actually cuts off the text.
> >
>  I believe this is a limit of Excel or the Excel file format.

Yes, it is, Excel has a limit of 256 characters per cell.  Although they
don't publicize this, you can usually find references to it in non-Excel
related documentation, such as this from an Exchange guide:

Important
    Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheet programs have a 256-character
    limit per cell. The proxy-addresses field can have more than 256
    characters. Do not import the directory export file into Microsoft
    Excel or any other spreadsheet with this limitation because any
    characters beyond the first 256 are truncated and lost without
    warning. Use a database program such as Microsoft Access or Microsoft
    Visual FoxPro(tm) to get around this limitation.

--
Jason Kohles                                 jkohles@redhat.com
Senior System Architect                      (703)786-8036 (cellular)