[ic] More problems with Spreadsheet Export

Fri Dec 21 12:50:01 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 12:15:53PM -0500, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting cfm@maine.com (cfm@maine.com):

> > I missed the start of this.
> >
> > The DBI modules (parse and write spreadsheet AFAICR) have a 256
> > char limit in them for excel.  DBD::Excel calls them, so it has
> > the same limit.  You need to hack the pm to raise the limit, at
> > least on write.  That's next to impossible to maintain if you
> > are using a package manager (eg rpm or deb).
> >
> > The amount of data one can enter and save into an excel field in
> > one recent version appears to be about 15362 chars.  Might be
> > version specific.
> >
> > At any rate, counting on more than 256 when the perl modules don't
> > provide more is asking for trouble.  The data is silently truncated.
>
> This is not true. I cannot characterize all versions of Excel (and Gnumeric),
> but the import/export works fine with the ones I mentioned at arbitrary
> sizes. I provided a few options, and make the proper tweaks in the
> objects at the time of import or export.
>
> Neither uses DBD::Excel.  <------   That's the ticket, I stand corrected.

For future reference, someone using DBD::Excel or Spreadsheet perl
modules to access same files will run into issues here:

>From Spreadsheet::WriteExcel.pm:
=item * Move to Excel97/2000 format as standard. This will allow
strings greater than 255 characters and hope fully Unicode. The
Excel 5 format will be optional. This will be in the next major
release of the module. All other features are on hold.

This is limit it package Spreadsheet::WriteExcel::Worksheet.pm:
    my $rowmax                  = 65536; # cfm change from 16384 in Excel 5