[ic] RE: Limiting access to item by user

Thu Dec 27 16:55:00 2001

> Thank you for the response.  If I understand how affiliates work, it
> allows you to place a link on another web site that connects
> directly to
> a product page on your site. The product page can be customized
> specifically for visitors from that affiliate.
>
> I don't think this is the feature I'm looking for, however.  In this
> case, our client's wholesellers don't have or want their own
> individual
> sites.  Our client wants to sell certain items to their
> wholesellers but
> each wholeseller will have their own set of items.  The wholeseller
> should be able to see only their own items and no others.  From the
> description of affiliates, it looks like anyone would be able to view
> any item no matter what.
>
> Also we don't need a customized page specifically for each
> wholeseller.
>   They should look the same no matter the wholeseller.
>
> Any other ideas about how to approach this problem would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Collin Condray

My take on this would be that you will probably want to set
up a shopping page that takes into account who the user is
logged in as.  My shopping page is a custom IC page that I
wrote for my site.  You don't need to take the out of the
box one necessarily.  The page you write could enforce
having a valid userid, and then use that userid to look
products up in the database.  You would need what I call
a "linker table" - there's probably a technical term for it.
It would have the user_id and sku, and you then can fill it
out with a list of users and the skus they are allowed to
see.  You may want to maintain it in a spreadsheet and load
it into IC from there.

Just an idea.

Patrick