[ic] Install HELP path to install to........

Monte interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Dec 29 17:16:00 2001

Message: 58
From: "Rene Hertell" <rene@hertell.com>
To: <interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com>
Subject: RE: [ic] Install HELP!!!!!!!!
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:24:45 +0200

> I have telneted the file up and untared it according to directions. I run
> configure and all is well until I enter a path to install interchange to
> then I get this "Can't install in software source directory" No
> matter what
> path I try to install to. Anyone have any ideas why I am getting
> this error?

First. Do you install as Root? If yes, then you have to enter the complete
path where you want to install IC (e.g. /usr/local/interchnage). If you
install as a normal user on your ISP:s server, then you should install it
into your own accounts homedir (e.g. /home/your_usrid/interchange). Type pwd
to check where your account lives :)

Rene

ps. It is difficult to answer to this kind of questions, when you don't give
more specific information about your situatin (are you root, Linux distro
etc.)

Sorry Rene here is more info.

Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf)
Kernel 2.2.19-6.2.1ensim-3.0.0-49 on an i686
/home/monte
bash-2.04$ cd /home/monte
bash-2.04$ ls
_uid               interchange-4.8.3.tar.gz  mainwebsite_html
interchange-4.8.3  mainwebsite_cgi
as you can see I have installed it in my dir as you suggested.
I run ./configure then here is what I get

Copyright 1996-2001 Red Hat, Inc. <interchange@redhat.com>

 Interchange was originally based on Vend 0.2 and 0.3
 Copyright 1995, 1996 Andrew M. Wilcox <awilcox@maine.com>

 Distributed under the GNU General Public License.
 See the file LICENSE for license information.

Found Perl 5.6.0 as /usr/bin/perl

If you get a CPAN error, rerun the configuration and it should go away.

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good

 Interchange V4.8.3

  Copyright (C) 1996-2001 Red Hat, Inc. <interchange@redhat.com>

 Interchange is free under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

Where is your Interchange to be installed? /home/monte/interchange
Can't install in software source directory!
Where is your Interchange to be installed?

I then get caught into this loop and not matter what path I seem to give it
I get this error message.

I have also tried to install on the root and get this same error. I have a
private server that I lease and this is the main account I want to install
it to on this server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Monte
http://techarkservices.net