[ic] Interchange now a Red Hat product

David Adams david@akopia.com
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:39:28 -0500

> Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 16:08:10 -0800
> To: interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
> From: Dan B <db@cyclonehq.dnsalias.net>
> Subject: Re: [ic] Interchange now a Red Hat product
>
> LinuxWorld: Red Hat boosts e-commerce platform
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/02/01/010201hnredhat.xml

[snip]

> So, what's up with AkTopia?  Did the author misspell the company name on
> accident, or was he implying the Interchange is more like Utopia?  (I agree
> with the latter, but I think it was the former).

I also agree that Interchange is like a web developer's Utopia.  :-)
Apparently the journalist in question was not listening very hard during the
press conference yesterday.  I can't blame him, though.  At the same press
conference, we were also treated to a long discussion of how Red Hat Linux
was deployed at a Japanese grocery store chain by a man with a very strong
accent, so we were all a little tired to listening hard by the end.  I have
emailed the author to see if they can correct the misspelling.

> To me, "Interchange will be tightly tied together through the Red Hat
> Network" sounds like marketing blather.  I assume it means that updated
> interchange*.rpm's will be available on RHN, but maybe it is something
> more?  (Maybe an intelligent bot that checks your install for
> non-upgrade-compliant features and intelligently upgrades only what is safe
> to upgrade on a per-file basis?)

All we can say now is that Red Hat Network's eventual goal is certainly as
ambitious as what you describe, and there will be services available for
Interchange through Red Hat network.  Interchange users will not be required
to subscribe to RHN, of course, but we'll try hard to make it very
worthwhile.

David Adams
www.akopia.com
703-456-2924 Office