[ic] gouping items

johny brabo schurkmaster@yahoo.com
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 01:08:59 -0800 (PST)

Thank you for the hints Scott and Christopher,

I didn't know that the shopping cart takes care of
assemblies that way, but I'm certainly going to use
it.

kind regards

----- Original Message -----
From: scott andreas
<scotta@homer-simpson.learnserv.com>
To: <interchange-users@lists.akopia.com>
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: [ic] gouping items

brabo wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > Maybe my last question wasn't very clear since I
> > > didn't get an answer.
> > >
> > > I am looking for a simple way to show an item
and
> > > links to parts of that item, so eg. I show a
computer
> > > and beneath it I show links to the parts. People
can
> > > Buy the whole computer, but they also can see
what
> > > screen it has, what memory and so on...
> > >
> > > The "order groups"-function doesn't seem to fit
my
> > > needs since there is no need to sell multiple
items at
> > > once. Also "accesoires" isn't really what I need
> > > guess. Can someone hint me to a solution?
> >
> > TABLE assemblies (
> >   code varchar
> >   part varchar
> > )
> >
> > Where code is the big item and "part" is the code
> > for the item that goes into it.  One code in your
> > products table can have any number of records in
> > assemblies.  I'm presuming that each "part" in
assembly
> > is also in your products table so you can pull the
additional
> > information you need.  Alternatively, denormalize
> > assemblies and add the fields to make display
easier/faster.

> > SELECT * FROM products WHERE code=[item_code]; #
display item

> > SELECT * FROM assemblies WHERE code=[item_code]; #
for each loop

          cfm@maine.com
> > MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208
Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039
  http://www.maine.com/
> > Content management, electronic commerce, internet
integration, Debian linux

> Here's an idea.
>
> Have the user select the computer. The cart will
display the computer
> with related items all checked beneath it. If the
user unchecks the
> related item the cart will recalculate itself
subtracting the unneeded
> item. Or you can start with a base model and add
related items to it in
> the cart. This way the user check the box and adds
parts to the computer
> hince building a computer.
>
> Within the cart the user can click on the
description hyperlink to view