[ic] 4.6.3 + ScriptAlias = 500 error

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:01:02 -0500

Quoting Zack Johnson (zack@augustine.com):
> All,
>
> One of our catalogs which we built on 4.6.1 used a neat little [but useful]
> trick to add flexibility to our URL naming scheme.  By using the Apache
> ScriptAlias directive, we setup our cat to be accessible via
> http://ourhost/dynamic/pages (versus http://ourhost/cgi-bin/pages).
>
> We were proud of ourselves.
>
> Then along came 4.6.3.  With childlike zeal, I downloaded the update and
> gleefully ran 'rpm' to install the package.  Lo and behold, when I went to
> work on the catalog, the much-feared '500 Server Error' reared its beastly
> head.  A quick perusal of error.log revealed the culprit: storable.pm no
> longer liked /dynamic/pages!  In other words: "/dynamic/pages/index.html
> Runtime error: File is not a perl storable at blib/lib/Storable.pm
> (autosplit into blib/lib/auto/Storable/_retrieve.al) line 293, at
> //usr/lib/interchange/lib/Vend/SessionFile.pm line 87!"  I felt confused,
> violated, rejected.
>
> My pride now hurt, I did what I had to do: I reverted by beloved
> ScriptAlias hack back from /dynamic/ to /cgi-bin/.  After a quick edit to
> variables.txt to reflect this grim reality, I restarted 4.6.3 and alas, my
> catalogue resurrected to its prior functionality.
>
> But with modest lament in our hearts. . .
>
> Have we not a remedy?
>
> Any insight into this would make this poor sot's life a ray brighter. . .
> many thanks!

While I can believe you had a problem, it should not have been related
to Storable. There is no way a ScriptAlias would affect that.

The only thing I can think of is that you had installed a Storable module
somewhere in the /usr/lib/interchange tree and the RPM overwrote it. Or
the RPM placed a _session_storable file in /usr/lib/interchange and
your original installation didn't have it.

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
car payments.  -- Earl Wilson