[ic] Follow-up: Interchange runs, then dies

Jonathan Melhuish jonathanmelhuish@email.com
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:31:34 +0000

A few months ago I posted a message concerning a problem I had with
running interchange; it would install fine, run fine, but then
mysteriously disappear after about 12 seconds or so (as detailed in the
FAQ).

After having that problem (on my desktop Mandrake 7.1 box), I tried
installing it on my (Mandrake 7.2 pre-release code) laptop.  It worked
perfectly, albeit a little slowly (does Interchange eat RAM or what?),
and therefore did not persist in trying to fix the problem on my desktop
machine.

However, I was recently forced to wipe and re-install my laptop machine
(due to user error!).  I installed Interchange, on the same pre-release
code as before, and encountered the same problem.

The only difference between the first and second install is that I tried
installing the RPM package first, as I had on my desktop.  Thinking that
this may be the cause of the problem I erased the RPM first and manually
deleted the folders that it said it could not.  I then installed the
tarball version, but encountered the exact same problem as I encountered
on my desktop.

Has the RPM left unidentified some trace that is upsetting the tarball
version?  Do I have to totally wipe my laptop and start *again*?  This
is getting rather like Windoze...  :-(

Any comments or suggestions most appreciated...

Jon