[ic] New Feature Multiple DNS-entries/IP's/aliases from interchange.

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:21:05 -0500

Quoting Boyd Lynn Gerber (gerberb@zenez.com):
> What I would like to be able to choose a group of IP addresses or machine
> names and have them all run the same catalog.  Machine1 is the orginal
> machine.  I would like to be able to choose from every IP address aliased
> to the one physical address and run the interchange server on each of
> them.  I may have 10,000 virtual machines from the one physical interface,
> but I only have 9,900 unique IP address or DNS entries.  What I would like
> to do is choose Name1, Name2, Name3,... or WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZ1, WWW.XXX.ZZ2,
> WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZ3,... where each of these machines has only one location for
> the catalog.  i.e. from the catalog.cfg file
>
> Variable    SERVER_NAME     machine1, machine2, machine3, machine4, ...
> Variable    SERVER_NAME     host1, host2, host3, host4, ...
>
> and the same for other variables like
>
> Variable    SECURE_SERVER   http://machine1, http://machine2, ...
> Variable    SAMPLEURL       http://machine1/construct, http://machine2/construct, ...
>
> As I understand now I have to have a seperate catalog.cfg file for each
> one, but they all have only one location with the same catalog.cfg.  I can
> change the catalog.cfg to work with any one of the virtual hosts, but not
> more than one.  So I am asking to be able to have more than one.
>
> These may have all the same IP address for each host, but I want to select
> from a group of hosts that all have the exact same location for
> catalog.cfg.
>
> I do not get anything in the logs.  I just get page not found error from
> the webserver when I try http://host2/cgi-bin/user_store if I have
> catalog.cfg configured for host1.  Note the webserver is looking at the
> same location for each.  Does that make it clearer?

No. 8-)

If you can provide the right URL on output, then Interchange will work
fine. I am still very unclear on what you are trying to accomplish.

If you want to use the same catalog.cfg file, then you will need
to have a way to determine what the outputted URL is for that
machine.

You may not know that you can do something like:

   interchange -restart construct:VendURL=http://machine1/cgi/script

and

   interchange -restart construct:VendURL=http://machine2/cgi/script

etc.

The other possible way is to have a separate ConfDir
(i.e. /usr/local/interchange/etc) for each machine, and use the
etc/construct.after configuration file to modify configuration.

You might have to get some consulting help, but it can be done, that
I know.

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon