[ic] New Feature Multiple DNS-entries/IP's/aliases from interchange.

Jeff Carnahan jcarnahan@networq.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:11:02 -0800

}
}Maybe it is me.  That is how I did it to start but when I try to check-out
}from a brwoser not on the machine running https://127.0.0.1/ I would get
}pages not available.  I then put in the address of
}https:/host.domain.com/.... for the secure server and it worked.  I do
}have Apache-SSL on 127.0.0.1 which works when I check it from a X-window
}as I mention above.  I thought the error from browers was because the
}machine I was running the browser on did not have a local webserver
}running.
}

This is your problem. In interchange.cfg your Catalog directive should have
the hostname of your machine.  That is perhaps:

FullURL    yes

Catalog  catalog1  directory  /some/dir/catalogs/catalog1
Catalog  catalog1  script     www.site1.com/some-path

Catalog  catalog2  directory  /some/dir/catalogs/catalog2
Catalog  catalog2  script     www.site2.com/some-path

Catalog  catalog3  directory  /some/dir/catalogs/catalog3
Catalog  catalog3  script     www.site3.com/some-path

Now, the cgi script (or mod_minivend) should connect to the Interchange
server running on localhost. This is the default behavior for tlink and
vlink. If you have multiple web-servers you may want to change this when
compiling vlink/tlink (if you don't use mod_minivend) which you can do by
editing config.h.in .. Note that the perl versions of these programs contain
the configuration in their source.

--
Jeff Carnahan - jcarnahan@networq.com

}> The IP address of the website is inconsequential to Interchange.
}Remember,
}> that Interchange is listening on 127.0.0.1, thus ANY website
}(regardless of
}> the address it responds to) on the SAME machine, can contact
}127.0.0.1 for
}> Interchange services.
}>
}> NOW, if you have MULTIPLE web servers that provide web services
}for a SINGLE
}> website, that is you're distributing the load for a web site
}across multiple
}> machines, you have two solutions (as I see it):
}
}That is part of the problem two.
}
}> 1: Create a NFS (or similar) filesystem that can be mounted over
}a network.
}> On machines that serve requests for the website, mount this common
}> filesystem. Now, put the Catalog for the website these machines
}service on
}> that common filesystem (or partition). Now, on each machine, run
}a copy of
}> Interchange and configure it to use the catalog on this common
}filesystem.
}
}That is what I did.
}
}>   - This will ensure that all webservers in this distributed
}configuration
}> use the same catalog information, and same user database. Thus if a user
}> places a item in his cart on web server one, he can do the
}checkout process
}> on web server two because they both share his personal
}information (and the
}> same catalog).
}>
}> 2: There are variants of the above approach. However, you must
}ensure that
}> all web servers use the common user database and order routing
}system. Ways
}> to do this:
}>
}>   - Use a non-flat-file sessions database. I.e.: Use a common
}MySQL/Whatever
}> database that all web servers connect to when obtaining session
}information.
}
}That is what I am doing.
}
}>   - Have many web servers provide information about your
}products, but only
}> one that allows users to 'check-out' or make their purchases. This will
}> allow you to concentrate whatever is necessary to complete your purchase
}> transaction in one location (i.e.: connecting to an outside payment
}> organization, or incrementing a single order counter).
}
}That is what I am doing wrong.  I am trying to go from all locations with
}the https://127.0.0.1 which I could only get to work when I was on the
}machine.  I then tried to use multiple IP's.  Did not work.  Changed to
}just a single IP and it worked.
}
}>   - Consider upgrading your equipment if it's not appropriate
}for the level
}> of traffic your site is receiving. While Interchange is quite
}good, it can
}> only perform within the limitations of your hardware. Don't run a popular
}> site with 64 MB ram. Use 1 GB. Don't save session information to
}a machine
}> that's already overloaded, purchase a new one for this task...
}Consider all
}> weak links in your setup, whether they are machines, network connections,
}> software, or peculiarities in the checkout system that are
}specific to your
}> business.
}>
}> But remember, if you do have more than one web server servicing a single
}> website, you absolutely MUST ensure that all of the web servers
}use common
}> session information.
}
}I agree.  Thanks. I think I know where I made my mistake.  It was trying
}to distribute check-out to many and I was failing there.
}
}Thanks,
}
}--
}Boyd Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>
}ZENEZ	3748 Valley Forge Road, Magna Utah  84044
}Office 801-250-0795 FAX 801-250-7975
}
}
}Interchange-users mailing list