[ic] password protection of categories

Mike Heins mheins@redhat.com
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:09:34 -0500

Quoting johny brabo (schurkmaster@yahoo.com):
> This seems a nice suggestion, thanks.
>
> But problem here is that this would only translate the
> problem. I could show the category only to users that
> have the required field in their userdb, but then I
> have to figure out a way to password-protect them from
> adding this field.
>
> Any user should be able to get access if they have the
> password. So I think I need a way to check if a user
> has allready entered a password, and otherwise serve a
> login-form if they click the category. Note that I'm
> not talking about the user's login name/password.

That is what this is for (in catalog.cfg):

    UserDB  default  scratch  "dealer category price_level"

When the user logs in, these userdb values are transferred to the Scratch
space, not the Values space. The user cannot touch this. So you just
test on $Scratch->{category} or [if scratch category =~ /something/].

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.