[ic] Slow searches

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:41:11 -0500

Quoting Company InterNet Services (info@4co.de):
> I have a database with 300,000 items online (will be expanded to 500,000)
> Every time I search it takes around 2 minutes, whether alot of items are
> found or not.  I need this to be much faster... around 2 seconds
> Currently it's on GDBM (the defult database type), My server has Postgress
> installed (but I have never used it).
> Is there a way to convert my current database into a faster type (so searches
> will appear faster.) Or would be making seperate catelogs be better (breaking
> up the database), Would customers still be able to order different items from
> different catelogs using one shopping cart?

It all depends on what type of searching you need.

If it is categories, you need to use the dl=string method of binary
searching, which will bring search times under a second.

If it is full-text, you need Glimpse, which will do much the same thing
for word-based full-text searches.  It is quite possible to get sub-second
searches for 300,000 items depending uniqueness of term.

This is the type of thing where a few hours of outside consulting with a
company that really knows this stuff (like us) will go a long way toward
solving your problems. This is all database and physics 101, but you have
to have the knowledge.

Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

People who want to share their religious views with you
almost never want you to share yours with them. -- Dave Barry