[ic] Inventory adjustment questions

Stefan Hornburg racke@linuxia.de
03 Jan 2001 16:57:09 +0100

Doug Alcorn <doug@lathi.net> writes:

> Steve Freitas <sflist@ihonk.com> writes:
>
> > >There isn't really any code to handle this.  You can search the
> > >archives on in-stock or something.  I have developed something that is
> > >fairly rudimentary.  As soon as I can, I will post a link to a patch
> > >for the construct demo.
> >
> > Great, thanks! I think Akopia should add this function to its todo list
> > -- incomplete functions are almost as bad as bugs.
>
> If you look in the archives, you'll see Mike only added what he did
> under protest.  He has valid concerns about how to keep the inventory
> levels accurate.  IC is catalog software.  Inventory control is a
> whole other issue that he doesn't want to breach.
>
> > how would it know whether to use /usr/bin/sendmail or
> > /usr/local/bin/qmail?
>
> The MTA is always up and running as a daemon.  By the nature of MTAs,
> you can only have one running at a time.  So, when an application
> wants to send mail it connects to the running MTA through a well known
> interface.  The MTA is started up usually at boot time.  Depending on
> your box, the bootup scripts are either located in /etc,
> /etc/rc.d/init.d, or just /etc/init.d.

No, this is not right. MTAs can as well run from inetd.conf.
On a nice Linux system, you should have a link pointing to
a sendmail wrapper, even if you use exim,qmail or whatever,
usually /usr/sbin/sendmail.

Ciao
        Racke

--
LinuXia Systems && Cobolt NetServices, eCommerce and more
Shop- und Datenbanklösungen mit MiniVend, Firewalls auf Debian-Basis