[ic] Patent issues?

Warren Odom warren-odom@stenocall.com
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:09:27 -0600

Besides being novel (i.e., no prior use), patents have to be non-obvious
also.  In my book, Amazon's one-click is neither.  Also, the patent holder
gets the right to sue infringers, but in practice that may be problematic.
Unless I'm sadly misinformed, Amazon has sued no one.  If they did, it would
be somebody big, not your basic mom & pop site.  Then it has to go through
the courts, etc.  If Amazon should prevail in the test case (again, unlikely
in my estimation), then you might have to pay them royalties.

After the initial uproar when this patent was announced, Amazon themselves
publicly suggested a kind of compromise:  changing the law to shorten the
term of all software patents.  This gives a clue as to how little confidence
they have in the viability of their case.

In other words, the path to patent enforcement is somewhat tortuous in any
case, and in this case success is extremely debatable.  I'd venture that the
chances of getting in trouble doing this are slim to none.

           -- Warren