[ic] HTML Mail

Bill Randle billr@exgate.tek.com
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 09:09:09 -0800

On Jan 13,  6:56am, Robert J. McKay wrote:
} Subject: Re: [ic] HTML Mail
}
} On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Mike Heins wrote:
}
} > Thanks for weighing in.
} >
} > At this point, no text/html or multipart/alternative content types
} > are allowed, and the mail list program will enforce this. Voluntary
} > compliance has not worked, so we go to the hammer. 8-)
}
} Not that I have anything against this (and I dislike HTML mail as much as
} the next guy), but does multipart/alternative actually cause any problems?
} I ask because I am in the process of writing some scripts to generate
} multipart/alternative emails and I'm interested in any problems that
} people may have with them...
}
} Regards,
}
} -McKay.

I read email with a GUI (but text-based) email program on Unix. When it
sees a multipart/alternative email, it's treated the same as an attachemnt.
I have to click on the attachment icon which opens another window, in
order to read the contents.

In addition, when replying to a multipart/alternative email, the email
contents is not included in the message, meaning I have to cut and paste
if I want to include parts of the original message.

That's why *I* don't like multipart/alternative email.

	-Bill