[ic] IC 4.6.1 possible bug & fix for price_group feature

Randy Moore ramoore@axion-it.net
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:53:10 -0500

Hello all,

I've been having trouble getting the Mix and Match feature to work as I
thought it should using the price_group feature (but maybe I'm
misunderstanding the intent here).  So, I started tracing through the code
of the chain_cost & tag_nitems subroutines to see what was happening.

It appears that for the Mix and Match to work, we have to use non-digits to
define the groups in the pricing:price_group field.  According to lines
1289-90 of Data.pm in the chain_cost subroutine:
   $regex = $item->{$attribute}
            unless $item->{$attribute} =~ /^[\d.]+$/;

This leaves $regex (which contains the group to match) blank if the
price_group field contains only digits.

But, the example given in the 'simple' demo explicitly uses digits to
define the groups.  (And, according to my testing, the 'simple' demo does
treat all products as being in one big group despite there being different
values in the price_group fields for various products.)

But if I change ALL the values in the price_groups fields to letters rather
than digits, the Mix and Match groups work like I think they should.

Any item with just digits in it's price_group field will be group with all
products in the cart that have ANY value at all (digits or not) it the
price_group field.

POSSIBLE FIX:

I think that changing  lines 1289-90 of Data.pm in the chain_cost
subroutine to the following should allow the price_groups to work properly:
   $regex = $item->{$attribute}
            unless $item->{$attribute} =~ /^$/;
or maybe just:
   $regex = $item->{$attribute};
	(I don't think we get this far if the $item->{$attribute} is blank.)

Or, am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?  Maybe it is
intended to only allow letters in the price_groups, but then why does the
demo use digits?

Any comments or corrections would be much appreciated.
Randy Moore
Axion Information Technologies, Inc.

email     ramoore@axion-it.net
phone   301-408-1200