[ic] Price Format

Warren Odom warren-odom@stenocall.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:47:52 -0600

If it's an SQL database as you say, you might think about just adding
another column with the price figures formatted the way you need.  You'd
have to make sure any updates affected both columns, of course-either by
modifying the price-updating routine to do them both at once, or by
periodically running a process that updated the whole thing.

>You might also consider changing the column types in the database
>definitions to something like FLOAT(4) anywhere a dollar amount is
>stored. I have had to do this before, especially if I needed to do
something
>like select sum(subtotal) from transactions.

Using floating point prices is not advisable because it can lead to roundoff
error.  Using fixed decimal storage format is long-established practice, for
good reasons.

           -- Warren