[ic] postgres vs mysql (fwd)

Dan B db@cyclonehq.dnsalias.net
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:53:38 -0800

Thanks for writing the list, Monty.  I enjoyed reading your posts.  Except
for the fact that now I'm confused about which database I should use
again.  :-)  I started out on Mysql, then converted to pgsql, now I'm back
to mysql.  Go figure.  Also, it is great to read one project lead-developer
talk about competetive projects.  You do a fine job Monty, read one of
Linus' recent posts for contrast:

<LINUS>
And I have to say that I absolutely despise the BSD people.  They did
sendfile() after both Linux and HP-UX had done it, and they must have
known about both implementations.  And they chose the HP-UX braindamage,
and even brag about the fact that they were stupid and didn't understand
TCP_CORK (they don't say so in those exact words, of course - they just
show that they were stupid and clueless by the things they brag about).

Oh, well. Not everybody can be as goodlooking as me. It's a curse.

                 Linus
</LINUS>
That was a few days ago.  Isn't Linus great?  I digress.

At 11:12 PM 1/18/2001 +0200, Monty wrote:
>Open areas are, among many others, a Windows port, repliction, hot

Windows Port of pgsql seems to be coming along nicely,
actually.  http://208.160.255.143 has a nice "Setup.exe" for 7.0.2 that can
be installed even by the lowliest PHB's.  (And seems to run pretty well too).

And I am very excited to see how PostgreSQL's replication (recently checked
into CVS) will stack up against MySQL's battle-hardened replication.  I'm
not suprised at how far MySQL's replication has come after the much reputed
donation of $100,000 by Slashdot.org to MySQL development!  A few months
later we now have Great Bridge following suit with it's eRServer project.

>better ODBC support [...]

I've been wondering about this.  When GreatBridge released their
"benchmarks" for PostgreSQL vs mysql (3.22) that were done with by ODBC
interface, many mentioned the fact that Mysql hasn't performance optimized
their ODBC driver at the time.  I figured it was more because of the
version they used (3.22).  What do you think?

[Thread onTopic]
How well does Interchange work with ODBC as a backend?  DBD::ODBC is 0.28
and released 23rd March 2000 -- so it's probably not being actively
maintained.  (Ha ha!  Now my post is on topic!).  ;-P
[/Thread]

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com