[ic] Using order groups for set price custom orders?

cfm@maine.com cfm@maine.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:29:51 -0500

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 11:07:48AM -0500, Chris Rapier wrote:

> > We do that with assemblies of pre made baskets and selectable
> > attibutes.
> I'm not sure I follow you here. In the example you provided I don't see
> how the user could choose between different items in the basket. For
> example, lets say you can the Can Bake for 2 and decided to give them a
> choice between Boston Clam Chowder and Manhattan Clam Chowder. How would
> the supplier be informed of this choice? It seems that this is more of a
> 'static' basket. Which has actually already been taken care of :)

I might not quite understand the question...

The type of chowder is just an attribute as far as the item/basket
are concerned, like size, color, etc...  The vendor sees the attribute.
The **outboard** pro-forma shipping report maps that to SKU for the
vendor but that is only for his reordering purposes.  The customer
only gets the preordained chowder choices for that attribute.  We use
a total of three, in this case chowder, vegetable or shellfish.  If
that attribute were a choice of 1 of 100 items you'd want a perl routine
or usertag and probably a pricing routine in (un)CommonAdjust.

> > We've done "build your own basket" too, but that involved some way
> > of setting prices for each item for each "dimension" of the basket (if
> > that makes sense to you).
>
> Yeah, that does make sense. Hurm. I wonder if I could create new SKUs
> for each dimension of the basket and have the actual choice be an option
> on that SKU. Man, having the clients maintain that is going to be insane
> and I'd really rather have something I could hand off and be done with.
> I'd like to build in job security but it looks as if I'm getting a
> research grant to develop some networking tools and thats going to suck
> up all my time and then some.

Well, if your clients are successful, then they will want more.  :-)

If the items are limited (eg choice of chowder) then attributes are
pretty straightforward.