[ic] Using dBase files with IC

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:13:48 -0500

Quoting Rene Hertell (rene@hertell.com):
> Hi List!
>
> I'm wondering if there is any "step-by-step" instructions how to get IC to
> use the dBase (*.dbf) files? I found this
> article(http://developer.akopia.com/archive/interchange-users/1999/msg06721.
> html), , and behind the link I found a bunch of modules. But I have no idea
> in how to install the drivers correctly, so  I tried with these steps:
>
> - I untarred the XBase (this should handle the *.dbf files) package and
> copied the content of the lib directory under Interchange/lib (I don't have
> root access, so I guess that IC uses the libraries from there)

I guess they must be Perl-only, because that wouldn't work otherwise.
Normal procedure is to do:

	src/cpan_local_install DBD::XBase

After that, just use a DSN of dbi:XBase:products and away you should
go, providing you have the file in tablename.dbf format in the products
directory. (Make sure you have touched the tablename.sql file or set
NoImport if you want to get the data from the file.) It will also use
the memo files if they are produced....

Bear in mind your field names will be ALL_CAPS and limited to 10
characters. 8-)

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

Fast, reliable, cheap.  Pick two and we'll talk.  -- unknown