[ic] Using order groups for set price custom orders?

cfm@maine.com cfm@maine.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:32:10 -0500

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 01:07:48PM -0500, Chris Rapier wrote:
> Chris Rapier wrote:
>
> > > If the items are limited (eg choice of chowder) then attributes are
> > > pretty straightforward.
> >
> > Okay, I think I understand where you are going now.
>
> Sigh. Maybe it wasn't where I needed to go though :(
>
> Doing some work on this I find that the docs say that the attributes are
> displayed in terms of an item list. Which necessarily implies that its
> already something they have ordered. What my client wants is one page
> where you have a series of drop down lists. After the customer has made
> their choices then they'll actually do the ordering.

You can do attributes on flypage (any page).

Or are you saying your client wants to suggest the basket AFTER the
shopper has indicated **some** of the items he wants?  That he wants
to select attributes **before** the item is picked?

Not a problem either way, though I think you need to stand back and
storyboard it vs just hacking away.  It's a substantially more complex
structure and a lot more work.  See www.mainelyscrubs.com for something
that works that way, where you select attributes independantly of the
item.  Still that does not prevent you from choosing an impossible
combination.  That's handled by the flypage logic that only presents
possible combinations; downside is the possible items grow real fast
when vendor makes minor changes in attributes (colors and prints in this
case).

Alternatively you get more <wince>joy</wince> using minivend to build a
javascript page dynamically according to what is available.  I'd bet
that is more what your client sees.  :->

Good luck!

cfm