[ic] New Catalog Added Today, Existing Catalogs Quit Working

Ron Dorman rwd@csi1st.net
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:36:20 -0500

Mike Heins wrote:

> Quoting Ron Dorman (rwd@csi1st.net):
> > Mike,
> >
> > Can you explain a little further please?  I have been reading the FAQ entry
> > for my error message and the socket file perms look good.  However we are
> > running unix-mode and there is no s in the perms for mode.unix file.  Am I on
> > track here?
>
> Those of you who quote in this fashion (your stuff at top, no context
> except a lump at the bottom, no trimming of the message) may note I
> seldom reply to you. Here I will make an exception....

Sorry about that, i usually do reply in context.  Been one of those days.

> You say permissions "look good". It depends on your definition of good.

These are from the interchange/etc directory and what I was referring to as "look
good":
-rw-------   1 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx        0 Jan 25 21:09 mode.unix
srw-------   1 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx        0 Jan 25 21:09 socket

> This is simply a file path/permission problem -- assuming you started
> the right Interchange server. Sometimes people get confused when they
> install the RPM....

We only have one Interchange server (at this point) installed from tar ball.
Yes, it WAS a permission problem.
I just corrected the problem with the help of Ryan. (thanks much)

These are from the cgi-bin directory of the site with the catalogs before chmod
u+s:
-rwsr-xr-x   1 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx      6652 Jan 25 14:51 fabcat
-rwxr-xr-x   1 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx      6652 Dec 18 22:45 hdicat
-rwxr-xr-x   1 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx      6652 Dec 11 19:36 nwecat
-rwxr-xr-x   1 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx      6652 Dec 18 22:40 pmtcat

These are from the cgi-bin directory of the site with the catalogs after chmod u+s:

-rwsr-xr-x   1 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx      6652 Jan 25 14:51 fabcat
-rwsr-xr-x   1 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx      6652 Dec 18 22:45 hdicat
-rwsr-xr-x   1 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx      6652 Dec 11 19:36 nwecat
-rwsr-xr-x   1 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx      6652 Dec 18 22:40 pmtcat

All is working well again but I would like to find out what I did to cause the bit
change.  Any ideas?

Thanks for your help Mike.  I really like the package and look forward to learning
more about it and doing some templates of our own.  You and your team keep up the
good work.

Ron D.