[ic] more admin UI hacking fun

Doug Alcorn doug@lathi.net
28 Jan 2001 01:32:57 -0500

My goal is to add another page onto the admin UI under the Items menu.
I found in the catalog_before.cfg where Variable UI_SUBMENU_Items is
defined as what looks like a little table.  I thought, "Cool, I'll
just add an entry for my page.".  But I don't want all the catalogs to
pick this up.  So I redefined UI_SUBMENU_Items in the catalog.cfg.

I had some typos when I did this, and ran into some confusing
behaviour while trying to debug.  I started editing the
lib/UI/vars/UI_STD_HEAD file.  Being new to the whole UI hacking
thing, I assume this is where the header block for the UI gets built.
I was having a hard time following some of the sections, so I
reformatted them.  We're talking about white-space changes only.
However, when I restarted IC and loaded the page my changes didn't
show up.  It's like the variables are cached somewhere.  I don't know
where.  Calling 'bin/interchange -r' says the old server is killed
then a new server is started.  Wouldn't this new server refresh the
definition of UI_STD_HEAD with my changes?