[ic] Re: how to remove records from database

Jim Balcom interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Mon Jul 2 18:04:01 2001

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Russ Riggs wrote:

RR>>Now to a question I have.  I prefer to handle the maintenance of the
RR>>database thru the admin UI as opposed to mucking directly with the
RR>>database.  I deleted all the items from the database via the 'items'
RR>>editor an assumed, erroneously, that all records that are related to
RR>>those items (processing too) would be handled...ie., any order,
RR>>specials, promos, etc., would be automatically dealt with.  Can someone
RR>>tell me a quick and dirty way to zero out the database so that I may
RR>>add my own merchandise so I can see what this thing looks like?

If you are using the construct demo, there does not appear to be any
way to remove fields from the inventory, merchandising, etc categories,
other than going directly into the files and manually deleting them. No
pruning mechanism seems to have been built into the demo.

Just use your favorite editor and load in inventory.txt, pricing.txt,
merchandising.txt and delete the whole line of whatever items you don't
want. Make a back up of the file first, make the changes to one file,
then go into the UI and hit 'apply changes' and then take a look at
what you have done. Then, go to the next file and do the same thing.

Otherwise, I don't think that you will ever get rid of the unwanted
fields.

Oh! wait a minute, I think that you can use the knar function and edit
those files that way, too. I've never tried it. It's much faster for me
to go directly to the file and hack at it.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Monday, July 02, 2001 at 18:00 PM:
Oxymoron: Vacant Dwelling.

This Linux System has been up 108 hours