[ic] Simple Options Before Checkout

Ron Phipps interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Mon Jul 2 18:41:00 2001

>On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Jake Thompson wrote:
>
>JT>>Ok, probably a stupid question that has been covered before,
>JT>>What is the easiest way to display aproducts simple options before the
>JT>>checkout page, either in the fly page or in a static page.

I have it setup on our site to select the color and size on the product
detail page (flypage).  I also used to have the select it on the results
page (product list) and that code was quite tricky.  We no longer give them
the ability to 'buy' the item from the list, they must go into the detail to
change options and purchase the item.

>I'm assuming that you are referring to like selling T-Shirts and you
>want them to select size and color.

We have done size and color for t-shirts and for another client we did color
for case modifications.

>IMHO, that is a bit too late to be handling this, but it also seems
>that there are several places where they can order the T-Shirt, and so
>the selection process would need to be in several places.

That's what we found and our client would rather allow the user to choose
right up until they go to the checkout page.  (So on flypage, results and
basket).

>I don't have a solution, but I am keenly interested in the answer!

I will post my code as soon as I get home tonight so you can see how I
completed this task.  It involved using item increment and javascript to set
some hidden fields to the correct values when a certain item was purchased.
It was used on our site for about 3 months (www.mygamewear.com) and is still
being used at www.caseetc.com .  The only part that is not clean is the buy
button which checks the browser for what type (the Javascript was not
compatible with both IE and NS for some reason).  This code took quite
awhile to debug and be reliable due to different implementations of Java (IE
is more relaxed on standards, imagine that...) as well as the HTML spec.

Look out for the code tonight.
-Ron