[ic] timetable for database and CCVS with IC in the future ?

Mark Johnson interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jul 3 12:22:01 2001

IC-Admin wrote:
> Also, Mark Johnson said in another context with regards to the
> admin UI for GDBM and/or other relational databases:
>
>         It's not for GDBM only; it also functions perfectly well with a
>         relational db. The problem is that it fully supports the use of GDBM,
>         and in order to do that, the feature set has to adhere to the lowest
>         common denominator. Only if and when a decision is made not to support
>         the GDBM data model will IC be able to use higher-level features of a
>         generic RDBMS. Even still, you quickly run into variations that limit
>         what can feasibly be done based on whichever database you use.
>
> Does that mean that you will eventually drop the support for the
> GDBM data model ? (not that I understand why, but I would regret it)

It means only exactly what it says. I have no knowledge whatsoever that
such a change has ever even been brought up for discussion. It is merely
an observation that as long as IC supports GDBM, which for all I know
will be forever, the UI must adhere to standards that work with GDBM.

--
Mark Johnson
Senior Systems Architect - Professional Services