[ic] MySQL is great with interhchange.

IC-Admin interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu Jul 5 13:24:00 2001

Michael Widenius via Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote :

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 18:18:38 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>
> To: <interchange-users@developer.akopia.com>
> Subject: [ic] MySQL is great with interhchange.
>
> Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 02:55:41 +0300 (EEST)
> From: Michael Widenius <monty@mysql.com>
> To: interch <interch@web3.valley-internet.com>
>

> Hi!
>
> Chris> As far as the database issue, mysql is great if you don't need
> Chris> transactions, or if the data isn't mission critical.  I would feel much
> Chris> safer with my data in postgresql than mysql.  I have had mysql eat data
> Chris> files on several occasions on recent versions even.  It simply wasn't
> Chris> designed for mission critical applications.  We have found that postgresql
> Chris> also scales much better with a lot of concurrent accesses by multiple
> Chris> users.
> Chris>
> Chris> Chris
>
> Sorry for jumping into this discussion, but I feel that I need to
> defend MySQL a bit here...
>
> Chris, I have to disagree with your statements; MySQL was from the
> start designed for mission critical applications and has over the
> years proven over and over again that it's very good at handling
> these. We have lots of users that uses MySQL in critical 24/7 systems
> with millions of queries per day, with very good results.
> (You can find a lot of well known names on our MySQL-users page)

[snipped all the rest of the good stuff]

> Regards,
> Monty
>
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, IC-Admin wrote:
>

> > [snip]
> >
> > I remember quite some heated discussion here some months ago
> > about the pros and cons of MySQL and PostgreSQL for IC. Now
> > with RedHat providing their own RedHat database based on
> > PostgreSQL 7.1 would you advise some data-heavy, but cash-starved
> > with IC-playing student to invest his learning time in PostgreSQL
> > instead of MySQL, thinking that may be in the future you
> > combine your services for the RedHat database with your services
> > for IC ?

As I started this thread and didn't mean to restart a discussion
again about MySQL vs. PostgreSQL (I pretty much trusted Mike Heins'
judgement all along about it, so it was pretty clear to me that
I would use MySQL, if ever). The only thing I kind of wanted to
know (because of the new development with the RH database and the
support RH will be delivering for it) is, if there is a similar
support system (hopefully not too expensive) for MySQL in combination
with RH Interchange.

May be most people don't need or want it, but for those timid people a
kind of back-up support system integrated with other RH support for MySQL
would have been a nice thing to have.

Sorry for having given the impression to iniciate a MySQL - PostgreSQL
discussion. It was supposed to be a discussion about back-up
technical support from RH for MySQL in combination with their
RH network, RH IC and/or other RH database support.

RH database support for their PostgreSQL version could have been
"The Heavy RedHat Database". RH database support for a MySQL version
could have been "The Light (-ning fast) RedHat Database".

Just to say that I am somewhat sad that apparently a cooperation
between companies, who support MySQL commercially and RedHat didn't
work out (wild guess ???) to make everybody happy.

Well, RH can't make everybody happy. But IC is pretty much quite
good at it. So, just forget my post.

BF