[ic] templates other than construct

Nathan Young interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri Jul 6 20:12:00 2001

Jim Balcom wrote:

> You should change your focus....
>
> Look at InterChange as a pile of lumber of assorted sizes, a pile of
> bricks, blocks, and other assorted hardware.

<extended metaphor cut>

I think that's great advice and I'll try to follow it.  However, it
doesn't preclude answering my previous question.  For one thing, the
construct template is fundamentally different from what I would create
by modifying an instance of that template, in that it can be used to
stamp out new store clones.

Also, you'd be ill advised to train novice carpenters by throwing a pile
of raw lumber at them.  Likewise, if you expect them to learn by taking
apart existing buildings, you might want to give them more than one to
work on, or fear that they'll end up with an unnecessarily limited view
of building materials and techniques.

What about my other questions?  I'm chasing the bigger picture and
looking for good resources.  Maybe there is no architectural overview or
comprehensive reference to config files.  It seems important enough that
I'd be willing to help work on those bits if they don't exist.

> InterChange has a very steep learning curve. It is not something that
> you will learn in one evening of reading a manual.

I'm not trying to learn it by glancing at a few web pages over a couple
beers with the TV in the background.  On the other hand, having some
other templates would help my process, especially with respect to coming
quickly to profitability (a requirement if I want to keep tinkering).  I
saw it mentioned in the docs but not on the website.  I couldn't find it
searching the mailing list archives, so I thought I'd post something.

I don't see any reason to be proud about having a steep learning curve.
Many people equate "feature rich" with "steep curve" but it needn't be
so.  Perl is supposed to make the easy things easy and the hard things
possible... maybe a big reason perl's been so successful, and a great
philosophy for any product to aspire to.

 It takes a LOT of