[ic] hardware for Interchange

Scott Lewis interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri Jul 6 22:48:01 2001

Hi everyone,

I'm pricing a server that will be used to host a fair number of
Interchange catalogs. Some will use a SQL database, others not.
I'd appreciate input on what would be the best choices of hardware.
The operating system will most likely be OpenBSD or FreeBSD.

I'll be spending $1500-2000 for a 1U machine. I may buy from a
vendor or put it together myself.

Here's a sample configuration from an unnamed vendor, priced at
$1218:

Intel i815 EAL motherboard
Intel PIII 866MHz
512 MB PC133 ram
IBM 30 gig 7200 RPM IDE HD
Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 card

That leaves $300-800 to soup it up for Interchange. How would you
prioritize these possiblities (in terms of performance increase/$):

more memory
SCSI hard drive
RAID card and another HD
faster processor