[ic] hardware for Interchange

Jim Balcom interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Sat Jul 7 08:17:01 2001

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Scott Lewis wrote:

SL>>Here's a sample configuration from an unnamed vendor, priced at
SL>>$1218:
SL>>
SL>>Intel i815 EAL motherboard
SL>>Intel PIII 866MHz
SL>>512 MB PC133 ram
SL>>IBM 30 gig 7200 RPM IDE HD
SL>>Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 card
SL>>
SL>>That leaves $300-800 to soup it up for Interchange. How would you
SL>>prioritize these possiblities (in terms of performance increase/$):
SL>>
SL>>more memory
SL>>SCSI hard drive
SL>>RAID card and another HD
SL>>faster processor

That seems like a higher than necessary price for that config.

I quickly found that a 400 mHz machine just wasn't going to do it.

I got a 1.2gHz CPU with 512 megs of RAM.

If I were going to put more money into it, I would add more RAM.

IC makes a lot of it's pages on the fly. Therefore, it needs a lot of
speed from the CPU. And, the more that it can do that in memory, the
faster it will be, rather than thrashing around on the hard drive.
Memory is relatively cheap right now so max it out.

Use that server ONLY for IC and your stores.

Hard drives are only for storage, and a 20 gig drive will hold a lot of
stores!

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Saturday, July 07, 2001 at 08:15 AM:
Break up a relationship - buy a computer!!

This Linux System has been up 218 hours