[ic] test set-up, biting the bullet

IC-Admin interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Sat Jul 7 14:30:01 2001

I am circumventing it for too long and I am scared about my own
cowardness.

Need to freshly set up and upgrade to RH 7.1 and newer bind from
scratch. Have almost two identical PCs (Pentium II @ 400 MMX, UW-SCSI). I
want to test the same data in all four databases GDBM, MySQL, PostgreSQL
and eventually Oracle. I think I will test with around 30 000 records. I
also want to try out to set up a CVS server, a secure webserver,
nameserver and mailserver on the same machine.

How many IC daemons would you run and would you install all database
software packages on one machine or else how would you divide them among
the machines in order to make it most convenient and fast ? I hesitate
to use NFS and share files, because I think it might be too much for
me to handle. One step at a time. But if someone beats me up here right
now and says, I shouldn't be such a whiner and learn it right from the
beginning, I'll might change my mind.

Could I do everything on one PC (will not be for real life site, just
for learning purposes, but how would you distribute the software packages
if it were a real life case ?) and use the second as mere mirror machine ?

Considering that in a real life case the records would be 800 000 thousand
or more, how much RAM at minimum should a PC have then, if one had decided
for the one database to use, after the test and the learning experience
had given me a clue, which one I liked best ?

Could a test with 30 000 records and less memory be used to project and
evaluate the speed for 800 000 records on a machine with more memory ?
In other words, would I need to buy more memory now already or can I get
meaningful test results on the hardware I have at hand ?

Thanks and regards
BF