[ic] error: cannot open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

Jake Thompson interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Sat Jul 7 22:58:00 2001

you need to be root

-----Original Message-----
From: Tammy [mailto:tamelist@ripandrevmedia.ca]
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 5:41 PM
To: interchange-users@developer.akopia.com
Subject: [ic] error: cannot open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

Tried to install manually, did not work,
now trying the rpm file.

I am installing the rpm file into
/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/username/interchange
and the rpm file is located in the same dir as above,
I typed in:

rpm -i interchange-4.6.5-1.rh6.i386.rpm

and got this:
error: cannot open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

Everyone is saying that this is the easier method to install.
The above dir does not even exist on my server.

Can someone gove me the commands, to run the rpm file from the dir of
/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/username/interchange
to the dir of
/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/username/interchange

or is that going to be a problem?

I am about to give up.
I have spent two weeks trying to just install this.
I tried first the tar ball, and now the rpm,
I dont understand why there are not at least better installation
instructions somewhere. Maybe this program is not for the average user!

thanx in advance
Tammy
tamelist@ripandrevmedia.ca