[ic] Error Messages:

Nathan Young interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jul 10 12:04:00 2001

> One of my apparent problems is that my IC is pre installed on my
> website by my hosting service, which means to alter anything in IC
> I am using an FTP client to download the item, and then using a
> windows based PC to alter / edit templates, pages etc, and then
> re uploading them. I have to be careful how I change things as the
> windows editors often insist on altering the format of items so
> that when they are uploaded, they don't work properly or
> give unexpected results.  Editing the catalog being one of the
> hardest to do.

I work this way a lot, the main downside of virtual hosting.  Actually
it's saved my but a number of times since anything I do is instantly
backed up when I upload it!

You can get around most of your problems (aside from the inconvenience)
by doing two things:  First, make sure your ftp client is transferring
in binary mode (ascii mode will translate line endings which you don't
want unless both are unix machines). Second is to use a good text
editor.  I can recommend textpad:

http://textpad.com

It will preserve UNIX, PC or mac line breaks (whatever your file was in
originally).  It super easy to use, but can do neat stuff like search
and replace with regular expressions, record actions into macros, etc.
Other people may recommend other editors.  Really anything that
preserves the original line breaks your file came with will work
(notepad and wordpad do not).