[ic] products dir / config dir / intuitive?

Mike Heins interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Wed Jul 11 16:06:00 2001

Quoting Jud Harris (jud-lists@copernica.com):
> Hey gang,
>
> Is seems odd to me that the "products" directory in each catalog dir is
> named "products" - when, if fact, few of the *config* files in it pertain
> directly to products.  It's counter-intuitive if you ask me.  Additionally,
> the "config" directory doesn't do too much config.  I've never touched it
> over the course of many catalog setups.
>
> Does it not make more sense to move the config-type files from products into
> the config dir for future releases?  If not, why not?

It does make sense except from the point of inertia and compatibility.
The first is a minor sin, the second a virtue. 8-)

When those files were first created, the typical Minivend installation
had about three tables and those couple of files. Now it is a bit more
cluttered....

You can move all of those files one way or another if you want to --
none should be hardcoded at this point. The only ones I know of that are
still there are shipping.asc, salestax.asc, and the 450.csv example UPS
zone file.

	SpecialPage  shipping.asc  config/shipping.asc
	SpecialPage  salestax.asc  config/salestax.asc

The UPS zone file can be located anywhere with

	{ zone_file => 'config/450.csv' }

in the options field of the shipping configuration.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.